Old October 25th 08, 07:27 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: who needs a telescope

Robert Price wrote:
Taken from a farm just south of Blueknob State Park on 23 October
2008. Taken with a Canon 300mm F/4 lens at F/4. Three 20 minute
exposures at 100ASA using a Hutech modified Canon 40D. Image reduced
to 50% of original.

Probably about the same look as you'd get with a non modified camera
since little HII is involved. This should encourage others with DSLR's
to piggy back their cameras!

In any case that's a great image. I took a shot in the early 60's
(1961?) of it using a 400mm f/6.3 lens that cost me all of $35 and an
Exa body that cost the same. Though instead of a real mount I used a
two hinge barn door mount driven by a 30's era wind up alarm clock
mechanism. I suppose that clock if not tore up for the drive would be
worth a lot today. I have no idea what happened to either the barn door
mount or the "drive". I used Tri X and 30 minutes. Today's CCD's have
far more resolution than 35mm Tri-X. The attached photo is as big as it
can go without severe grain showing and has all the resolution of the
negative (lost when a tree limb came through the roof in 1991 during a
severe ice storm).

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m31.jpg