Old December 6th 03, 11:53 PM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

Default Back to the Moon on what? Saturn V, Magnum, Ares launcher, Shuttle Z

On 2003-12-06, TKalbfus wrote:

So what will it be. Do we build new Saturn Vs, Magnum rockets, Ares

launchers,
or Shuttle Zs?

Assuming we go, I think its likely to be a variant of the Delta-IV Heavy.

Saturn V has the problem of reopening the assembly lines, not to mention
the expertise and experience that has been lost along the way. It would
be like starting again from scratch.

Not to mention the first stage was built where the ETs are currently built.

Magnum, and Ares are little more than paper rockets (OK, they are a
little more, but not much imho)

By the time Lunar missions happen (again assuming they do), there is a
strong possibility Shuttle Hardware won't be with us. OSP will launch
on the EELV platform, and its _possible_ that EELV (or variant) may get
used for Assured (Or is it Alternative now?) Access to Space.

[Agreed, its also possible that Shuttle will be used for AAS, unmanned,
thus negating my argument about Shuttle Hardware...]

The Delta IV design concept, on the other hand, seems to have at least
some scope for larger variants. Heavy is scheduled to fly May next
year, and there have been many discussions of potential "Super|Mega"
Heavy variants in here...

All the Best

Iain