Old March 23rd 04, 10:39 PM
John Doe

Default MSNBC (JimO) - Hubble debate -- a lot of sound and fury

BenignVanilla wrote:
the politically safe path, and not launching to the Hubble. The nation cried
foul when the second shuttle was lost, and NASA is responding in CYA
fashion

Did the nation really cry foul ?

If NASA can't fly the shuttle to Hubble for safety reasons, that it shouldn't
be flying it at all. Shuttle was designed for that type of mission, it isn't
as if you're asking it to be outfitted with additional SRBs that could send it
to the moon.

While I can understand a Hubble mission can't be flown until they have the
right self-contained repair procedures, I think it is important for NASA to
get those. That expertise isn't required just for Shuttle, but for all
subsequent vehicles. Being able to fix stuff in space is very important,
especially if you're going beyond LEO for long durations.

And yes, this means that NASA needs to widen the envelope of EVA procedures to
find safe ways for Crew members to go to places they are currently prohibited
from going.

In fact, NASA's refusal to go to Hubble means that NASA isn't confortable for
the Shuttle's safety. The day NASA re-instantes the HUbble flights is the day
I will trust that NASA has truly ficed the foam problems and implemented CAIB recommendations.