Old December 20th 07, 07:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
[email protected]

Default ASTRO: SH2-187

Do you happen to remember the different URL?

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 11:43:48 -0600, Rick Johnson
wrote:

Glen,
I'd found that shot at a different URL. Didn't realize it was yours. I
can see the lack of blue in my shot compared to yours. That's what I
suspected. The blue was very weak due to being taking through so much
ice. Pushing it added way to much noise. I cranked back on red and
green to get a sort of balance but then the shot appeared washed out in
color. Even the RGB was weak. So I compromised and went with a somewhat
noisy but weak blue. I'll have to try again for the blue but now the
ice is in the air for the next three or four months making it a next
fall project. Assuming it ever does clear off. 4 new moons now of
clouds. It gets to you.

For Sharpless objects I just use the coordinates from SIMBAD and enter
them manually into The Sky. After checking the DSS plate for that
position to make sure something is there that looks like the object I'm
after. Several catalogs I downloaded that said they contained Sharpless
objects either had errors or weren't fully The Sky compatible I gave up
going that route. It only takes a couple seconds to type in the
coordinates. Though a time or two I forgot it defaults to today's date
for the epoch and didn't check the J2000 box so was "lost in space".
Only 7 years of precession makes a big difference for my small FOV.
I've found SIMBAD wrong a time or two as well. Even after Brian Skiff's
efforts to fix the errors in it. I don't think there is a totally
"correct" catalog of fainter objects out there.

Rick