Old October 27th 18, 07:00 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default US Air Force explores space-based cargo operations, confirms talks with SpaceX

In article , says...

On 10/26/2018 7:51 PM, Jeff Findley wrote:
In article ,
says...

"As for what space cargo operations could look like, the previous head of Air
Mobility Command, Gen. Carlton Everhart, espoused the possibility of moving cargo
using rockets during a Defense Writers Group breakfast in August."

"Apart from cargo operations, such a focuses space presence could help with pre-
positioning equipment and supplies in orbit, ready to be dropped to Earth."

See:

https://www.defensenews.com/digital-...s-with-spacex/

From above:

One potential would be SpaceX?s next-generation reusable
BFR rocket, currently under development. During the
roundtable, Miller confirmed that the Air Force had
spoken to SpaceX about the idea.

Interesting. Sounds like they're considering BFR as a military P2P
cargo transport. It would certainly be faster than any other form of
transport over great distances.

Jeff

Jeff,

Are we back-peddling a bit on the feasibility of P2P or just commercial
P2P? ;-)

I've said this in other posts:

|That's the one part of BFR/BFS I don't take seriously. As a first
|generation VTVL TSTO it's not likely to be safe enough for routine
|passenger transport. Maybe the second or third generation will be.

The current discussion with the US military is over using BFR/BFS for
space based *cargo* transport.

I also said:

| I assert that BFR/BFS would be little different than the V-22
| in terms of both unique capabilities and could be little
| different when it comes to its reliability as an air/space
| transport craft.

Note that we don't see V-22s or a commercial derivative of the same
technology being used in commercial passenger carrying transport quite
yet. The V-22 has tended to crash more often than FAA certified
commercial passenger carrying transports.

And that's not for a lack of trying:

AgustaWestland AW609
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AgustaWestland_AW609

As far as I can tell, the AW609 is not yet certified.

ERIC ADAMS, TRANSPORTATION, 02.07.1809:00 AM
GET RICH SO YOU CAN FLY IN A V-22 OSPREY-INSPIRED PRIVATE PLANE
https://www.wired.com/story/leonardo-aw609-tilt-rotor/

From above:

Whether or not the AW609 can establish itself in the aviation
market, Leonardo expects it will enter commercial service in
earnest in 2019, after certification.

I wish them luck. It's a cool aircraft.

Jeff