Old July 9th 03, 12:02 AM
larry

Default [UPDATE] Photos of RCC hole made during 7/7/03 test now online

David Higgins wrote:

larry wrote:

Also I recall seeing photos of Columbia when it was being readied
for flight. The Panels were black not the gray of the test panels.

I believe you recall incorrectly. Here's a link to a
launch photo of a relatively recent shuttle launch
(Endeavour, STS100, April 2001)

Then are there two colors of RCC panels, black and gray? Why the
difference in the colors in the photo "fitted RCC layout" at

http://www.caib.us/news/photos/shutt...y/default.asp#

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/...01pp-0832.html

Click on the low res(*) link, and look at the leading edge
of the wing (near the USofA flag), and the shuttle's nosecap.
Both are medium dark gray, the same as the RCC panels used
in yesterday's test.

Perhaps you are confusing the black tiles with the RCC panels?

(*) -- or the high res link...