Old May 4th 04, 02:54 AM
Neil Gerace

"Doug..." wrote in message

LOl, yeah -- just because I never heard it doesn't mean it didn't
happen. I can still remember seeing the commercials that were run
frequently during the changeover, though -- they were played in the U.S.
on news magazine shows to illustrate to us Americans what the U.K. was
going through. The jingle stayed with me becuase of the somewhat
inappropriate context that it had in America at the time:

The Australian one is part of cultural history, and one of the important
milestones in television, too. It was sung by a cartoon character called
Dollar Bill:

"In come the dollars, in come the cents
Out go the pounds and the shillings and the pence
So be prepared when the money starts to mix
On the fourteenth of February, nineteen sixty-six"

That's right people, Valentine's Day 1966. I wonder how many girls got new
decimal currency adding machines for a present?

I can just imagine some American hippies watching those ads and getting
ENTIRELY the wrong idea...

"Let's move to Canada, man. They got it in the stores!"