Old November 22nd 04, 07:04 AM
SaberScorpX

Consider a fork-mount (EQ) SCT.
No counterweights, no tube rotations, no gymnastic
observing positions.
Observe seated comfortably, east to west, horizon
to zenith.

Well, I'm a big fan of fork mounts, and SCTs. But with any equatorial mount,
including forks, you get tube rotation. Maybe you mean that it is easy to
rotate
the diagonal of an SCT to compensate?

Very good, cloudbait. That's just what I meant.

I find that there are positions that are darned
awkward, especially near the pole where the EP and fork base are close.

Try spinning the tripod. It takes 5 seconds.
For starhopping and casual observing, polar-alignment is not
written in stone.

SSX