Old February 23rd 17, 12:32 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

Default Planet near Proxima Centauri (Travel time)

On Wed, 22 Feb 2017 11:40:57 -0800 (PST), StarDust
wrote:

On Wednesday, February 22, 2017 at 11:14:33 AM UTC-8, Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Wed, 22 Feb 2017 10:41:02 -0800 (PST),

On Saturday, December 31, 2016 at 1:48:33 AM UTC-8, RichA wrote:
Earth-like? I'd believe it when they get there. Here's the travel time:

-Current rocket technology (if a large enough one could be built): 120,000mph.
25,000 years to get there.

-Project Orion 10,000 ton class ship: 80% speed of light peak speed.
14 years.

http://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2016...d-orig-nws.cnn

We can't even get humans to Mars, never mined to another solar system.
We found out, there is no other life in our solar system, not even a lousy bacteria, so now it's a new flight of imagination , maybe some thing exist in another solar system.

And sending people to Mars remains a pretty silly idea, IMO. But just
as we have been successful in sending robots to Mars, it is quite
feasible (scientifically, if not politically) to send robots to nearby
stars in reasonable time periods.

Really? Like what, 10,000 years?
Humans might be gone by than!

No, in a few decades. For instance, the Starshot proposal. Not
politically feasible, but the science is here and the engineering
would only require money. Technically, it's a low risk project. And
there's a pretty good chance that variations on ion drives will have
the capability to deliver very low mass craft with peak speeds of 0.2
c or better. There are, of course, interesting and tricky
technological problems, but none of which would be unlikely to prevent
a serious impediment to a dedicated, well funded effort.