Old August 21st 18, 04:31 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Default Load and Go a Go

Alain Fournier wrote on Mon, 20 Aug 2018
20:19:03 -0400:

On Aug/20/2018 at 8:14 PM, Fred J. McCall wrote :
I don't think I mention this before, but it looks like NASA has
approved the SpaceX 'load and go' fueling plan for manned vehicles.
All they'll have to do is complete the handful of flights (in 'manned'
configuration, but presumably without people) required to 'man-rate' a
system.

Is it possible for SpaceX to launch satellites or do something useful
(maybe bring cargo to ISS) while in 'manned configuration', but without
people aboard?

I assume so. Dragon V2 is supposed to be able to carry cargo rather
than people and I would think just removing seats and such to switch
to a cargo configuration wouldn't invalidate any 'test' flights for
man rating of Falcon 9/Dragon V2 system configuration.

--
"Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the balls to
live in the real world."