Old August 16th 07, 05:55 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Javi

Default Interpeting Tile Damage Test Results

"Jeff Findley" escribió en el mensaje

"Craig Fink" wrote in message
Here's the a picture of what arc jet damaged tile.

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/1...shannon_01.jpg

I'd worry about the heat weakening the adhesive that holds the tile on.
I'd think it would be bad if the damaged tile popped off during reentry.

Can anyone of the experts in this group explain this...?
http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/...ion-sts-1.html
Post-flight inspection of the Columbia revealed that an overpressure wave
which occurred when the SRB ignited resulted in the loss of 16 heat shield
tiles and damage to 148 others.

16 tiles lost and 148 damage and no problem in the entry!! and now
everybody is worry about just one tile... ????