Old September 9th 18, 06:30 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Default Vokshod 1

JF Mezei wrote on Sun, 9 Sep 2018
12:44:06 -0400:

I take it 19.7PSI of pure O2 is still nowhere near the level where O2
becomes poisonous? (we learn that in scuba diving, but people don't
breathe pure O2 when scuba diving).

Prolonged exposure at that pressure will not be good for you.

Of course Mercury had one. Vostok had one.
Gemini had ejection seats; which failed in one test. Well the seats
apparently worked, but the hatches didn't properly eject.

If Vostok had one, you'd think it would have been adapted/reused for
Vokshod.

Why would you think that?

Apollo had complete abort capability all the way to orbit.

Thanks. With capsule launch eject, the need for those basket joyride
down a zip line was even less needed.

Even less needed than WHAT?

And I recall now that in From Earth to moon (or Apolloow 13) there is
mention of phase of flight where they "tower jet" to remove the rocket
that could lift capsule out.

stack. There was a SRM to make sure it was pulled to one side and not just
straight up (where an accelerating Saturn could then run into it).

Pardon my ignorance, what is SRM? software, innertial based hardware?
or just hardwired exhaust designed to give a slant to any ascention?

SRM == Solid Rocket Motor

--
"Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the balls to
live in the real world."