Old April 12th 17, 02:17 AM posted to sci.astro.research
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)[_2_]

Default NET Angular Momentum of Globular cluster of stars

In article , (Eric
Flesch) writes:

I can however rephrase my point, Think of dark matter as a medium.
Compare stars in a dark matter environment to fish in a lake. Fish
don't fall because they are buoyant in the water. In a dark matter
lake, stars would similarly have some gravitational buoyancy. The
gravitational medium would modify or nullify the inverse square law.
How could it not? And that's pretty much all of my point.

The analogy doesn't work because with buoyancy, there is a force working
in the direction opposite to gravity, and this is possible because of
non-gravitational interaction between the object and the surrounding
medium. But the kind of dark matter we are talking about has little if
any interaction with baryonic matter.

I also don't think that it would work quantitatively. Can you show that
this idea (even neglecting the point I mentioned above) results in the
very simple MOND law?