Old May 5th 05, 11:32 AM
Oz

Our esteemed moderator writes

Mod. note -- I think very little radio astronomy of any kind has been
done at such low frequencies.

The amount of artificial radio (communication) noise would be utterly
overwhelming...

Indeed, I'm not even sure if the Earth's
ionosphere is even transparent at 1 MHz frequencies;

Medium wave...

The ionosphere is reflective which is why medium wave has very long
range as it bounces between earth and sky.

However I think long wave (200kHz or so) is transparent since the range
is about a wavelength or so. Originally this was chosen because it was
expected to get some 'diffraction over [under] the horizon'.

VLF circa 10-20kHz is used for very long range submarine communication
(one way) since it penetrates 'quite deeply' into seawater. I think many
repeater stations are required so presumably the ionosphere is
transparent here too.

I believe a radio telescope for these frequencies has been proposed,
on the far side of the moon.

--
Oz

Use functions].
BTOPENWORLD address has ceased. DEMON address has ceased.