Old November 15th 04, 06:59 PM
H Brown

Not all of the D series used "radio" guidance.

There were D "AIG" or All Inrtia Guidance boosters. I can't remember exctly
when they being launched but it was before June of 1962 when I left the
Cape. The pod on the side was much larger than the regular D series so that
they could fit the guidance system in it. As I vaguely recall, the AIG
guidance was built "ARMA". Can't recall much more than that since it's been
a long time and I was in telemetry at the time.

By the spring of 1963 we were launching mostly the E and F series at the
Cape.

Harry

wrote in message
oups.com...
The "67D" number was the Atlas "tail number". It showed that this was
the 67th D-series Atlas booster built - one of several Atlas-D boosters
that were built on Convair's ICBM production line for the Mercury Atlas
program. Other D-series Atlas vehicles, which had radio-inertial
guidance, were used for ICBM test launches, served as operational
missiles on standby, or were topped by Agena upper stages for unmanned
space missions.
- Ed Kyle

http://www.geocities.com/launchreport/