Old November 14th 04, 04:39 AM
OM

Default OM corrects a major personal oversight...

....This evening, I unretired an old pizzabox system to serve one
purpose and one purpose alone: a home game server. A system set aside
and dedicated to hosting Unreal Tournament maps, skins and other
distractions for yours truly when I actually have time to be amused by
such things. As with most of my systems, I tend to give them Astronaut
names that fit their personalities:

Glenn - The Living Room Media Center - AKA, the TV
Shepard - My Bedside Box. Provides news and entertainment, but also
happens to be where I have to deal with spam.
Grissom - Identical to Shepard, but the second system built. Has a
missing side panel.
Carpenter - Has a flaky video card that refuses to switch video modes
on occasion
Schirra - My business notebook. Purely business.
Slayton - Has a video capture card that refuses to work if more than
99MB of RAM is loaded. Also has a faulty MB thermostat that shuts the
entire system down even if it's turned off in BIOS, *unless* the video
capture card is working. Fibrulations, natch.
Cooper - My overloaded music server, more drives than the P/S knows
what to do with, but still keeps on running.

....However, after looking at systems one thru seven, I realized I'd
used up the Original Seven astros for system names. The three main
servers - KSC, JSC and Gagarin - as well as the dual monitor box -
Conrad - and the DVD burner box - Bean - also took up good names. So,
while puzzling out which of the Next Nine to honor, I thought about
how flaky this old box was, and how, while it could run fine as a UT
server, it could never actually play the game worth a ****. And then
it hit me. So, about five minutes ago, the Original 7 were joined by
the unofficial 8th Astronaut.

Yup. I just named a game server after Jose Jimenez.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr