Old September 11th 03, 07:20 PM
Pat Flannery

Default Is a Space Elevator more risky than the shuttle?

Aaron Desilet wrote:

Thanks for the serious reply...how long did you spend writing all that
nonsense anyways?

About twenty minutes, which is about ten minutes longer than any
Japanese force ever held out against a giant reptile. Really, I have a
hard time taking this idea seriously, I've got a sneaking suspicion that
it's nowhere near as simple as they are making it out to be to
accomplish; but I believe the current plan is to build it in space, then
lower it downwards from space into the Earth's atmosphe
http://www.isr.us/SEConcept.asp?m=2
Goes into the basics of the project.
Arthur C. Clarke thinks it will work, and will address the second annual
conference on it from Sri Lanka: http://www.isr.us/spaceelevatorconference/
.....on the other hand Arthur C. Clarke also thinks that sea serpents
exist, so a bit of skepticism might be in order in regards to this project.
However, if a giant sea serpent _were_ to exist, and if it were to
begin ravaging the Japanese whaling fleet down near Antarctica, then a
space elevator could be used to lift the ecologically sound, but
misguided as to it's tactics in the preservation of the world's
cetaceans, creature to Monster Island- where, under the tutelage of
Tadzilla, it could channel it's concerns for the world's sea life into
less destructive ends...before inevitably leveling Tokyo.

Pat