Old March 31st 18, 01:10 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Razzmatazz

Default Tabby's Star Dimming Again

On Friday, March 30, 2018 at 6:39:50 PM UTC-5, Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Fri, 30 Mar 2018 15:50:23 -0700 (PDT), Razzmatazz
wrote:

The U.S. economy is a disaster.

The US economy is not a disaster.

That does, of course, depend on the metrics we use to evaluate it. I
don't place much value on GDP, on employment. We have massive and
growing wealth disparity, we have massive amounts of capital being
held out of circulation by corporations, we have a significant
percentage of our population living under poorer conditions than their
parents lived under, we have crumbling infrastructure, we spend more
than we collect.

By my assessment, that's a disaster. It's unsustainable, and when it
collapses it isn't going to be pretty.

But I already told you why. It's in the voting pattern of Americans. Nearly a third of Americans cannot name a single branch of government, and almost 40 percent are unable to cite a right guaranteed by the First Amendment. Only a handful of states require proficiency in civics and government as a condition of graduation. The educational system, with its fear of confrontational topics and its corporate-driven emphasis on STEM, has failed them. On top of that, educating young people is not held in high esteem here, unlike other advanced nations.

On top of that, a lot of people consider all politicians to be crooks, and don't have the reasoning ability to sort truth from propaganda. That cynicism has cost them dearly and will continue to do so until we take education seriously and teach people how to think and reason.

Take a look at the political cycle in the USofA:
https://thenib.com/the-corruption-cycle