Old April 27th 05, 02:19 PM
phoenix

Drew wrote:
On 25 Apr 2005 03:14:12 -0700, "phoenix" wrote:

Theoretically. Is it possible to construct a telescope using
holographic lens such that you flick a switch and the lens
just formed at the front. I like the idea of a very lightweight
0 wave error 6" refractor that I can carry at my back when
hiking and just putting it on the equally lightweight image
stabilizer mount when the sky has a great view.

In 4000 A.D. Can the above occur.. theoretically??

I can't see holographic equipment being very portable at first. Even
when it is, I'm sure it will be easier to simply GO within a few

dozen
light years of the Great Orion Nebula and get a real view or take up

nice spot on Ganymede on the sub-Jovian side at night and watch the
GRS spin or use 10x50 binoculars to watch the latest Pele eruption on
Io. Guess we'll still need telescopes to see galaxies though. :-)

Later generation light intensifiers and liquid mirrors are likelier

make amateur astronomy more enjoyable before the advent or portable

or
amateur holography equipment.

-Drew

Maybe a 4" holographic lens is a bad idea. Perhaps it would
be far more useful to have much bigger aperture like 10"
refractor. As you know. Big aperture refractor costs like
crazy. Maybe they can invent something that can collect the
photons in a say 20 inches area and focus the beam to the
focal point that doesn't even use glass but other methods
such some kind of wave guide to guide all the waves into a
point at the focal plane. Got any idea how or what that can
do it roughly even on a theoretical basis first awaiting
technology advances thousands of years far into the future.
Well. It's not bad to start thinking of it now as we may be
able to build a rough device that can do it.