Old November 8th 03, 11:40 AM
Al Jackson

Default Von Braun rockets on Encyclopedia Astronautica

Scott Lowther wrote in message ...
Pat Flannery wrote:

If this was posted before, forgive me, but I just spotted it. Mark Wade
has put up a new section devoted to Wernher von Braun's rocket designs
of the 1950's, such as appeared in the Colliers articles and Disney
programs; and will appear any-year-now in David Sander's "Man Conquers
Space" movie: http://www.astronautix.com/lvfam/vonbraun.htm

Two of the designs there are the A-11 and A-12. I've been tryign to hunt
them down for some years myself, and have coem to this conclusion:
They're bull****.

Yes as far as the A-12 is concerned, von Braun must have invented this
after the war.
But no on the A11.
Dieter Hoelsken, documents this in V- Missiles of the Third Reich*,
monogram Aviation Publications, 1994. There is a document at the
Bundesarchiv (Military) dated 1943!, that describes the A11, in fact a
theoretical model for a A9/A10/A11 was calculated. See the note of
page 256 of Hoelsken's book, and footnote 52.
By the by , Hoelsken publishes a drawing of the piloted A9 on page 264
of V- Missiles of the Third Reich, but gives no historical
documentation.

( *V-WAFFEN. Entwicklung und Einsatz im II. Weltkrieg, Dieter Hölsken
)