Old September 28th 06, 08:32 PM posted to sci.astro.ccd-imaging
Sjouke Burry

Default Black Sun

murlockc wrote:
Hi everyone!
I am trying to observe the sun using a CMOS chip, but I get the
following problem: when the neutral density located in front of the
sensor is too low, a "black hole" appears at the center of the sun.
Have you already met this kind of problem? Is it a known phenomenon? I
have tried to search for information concerning this type of problem on
the web, but I did not find any clues how to solve it.
It seems that this "black sun" can also appear with CCD chips.

Is there a way to solve it without using post image processing?

Cedric

This is what you can expect when you burn in
the ccd chip.
I had it happen with a ccd camera observing/recording
the road in front of a touring car.
Just when the sun came up, the bus had to stop for 2
minutes, with the sun just over the horizon.
And that was the end of the camera, with black
spots all over the place, not actual breaking down,
but almost total loss of sensitivity in spots.