Old June 13th 04, 08:39 PM
Derek Lyons

(LaDonna Wyss) wrote:
Hey, folks--I wasn't sure where to post this one because there's been
so much blathering, but how about this for a question: You do realize
the first three groups of astronauts were recruited from within the
military, and by that I mean they received orders to show up at
such-and-so place at such-and-so time with absolutely no clue why they
were there?

Yes, we all know that. We also all know the reasons why and to not
read too much into it.

Just because they were TDA to NASA did NOT mean they were
no longer in military service.

Were they TDA? More likely PCS or on Detached Service. (And one can
be in the service and not be on active duty. I spent a week on TDY as
part of a volunteer group helping in remodeling the local Red Cross
HQ. Would you claim that was 'military' operation?)

If, for example, some major oil company decided it needed experienced
ship captains to sail its barges of petroleum, do you think the
military would just loan them out for the fun of it?

Folks in uniform can be found in all manner of odd places. (Or to put
it another way, yes the DoD loans out troops and individuals for
various reasons and periods of time quite routinely.)

Obviously, the Pentagon decided there was a military purpose for their
work or they wouldn't have been sent.

The Pentagon 'decided' to obey the President, who ordered that the
initial group of astronauts come from the services. (The DoDs
interest in space comes somewhat later.)

Which lands it back in the lap of a military operation.

Once again you state an opinion as a conclusion, without having
actually supported it.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.