Old July 13th 06, 07:32 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Widget

Default Genesis I successfully launched!

"DA" wrote in message
m...
Joe Strout wrote:

A converted Dnepr rocket successfully launched with Bigelow's Genesis I
on board, at 1453 GMT today. It reached its designated orbit (about
515
km) minutes later. Bigelow controllers expect to begin the inflation
process later today.

In the immortal words of Luke Skywalker: Ya-hoo!!!

I wish the Bigelow team the best of luck for a successful and
educational deployment, and eagerly look forward to more news and
images
of this historic flight.

Here's more info on the launch:
http://www.space.com/missionlaunches...-1_launch.html

I could never figure out if they planned any experiments INSIDE the
bubble. I mean, the inflatable habitat, sorry. Anyone knows?

This version doesn't have life-support systems onboard, it's merely to test
the durabillity of the inflatable shell.