Old February 17th 21, 06:51 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Rocket Test Ranges open to the Public?

In article ,
says...

I have two amateur rocket designs. Both are ballistic, meaning they
have a down range flight path.

One is a 29mm high power engine design. I plan on using a
3D printer to make stack-able fuselage sections. A large printer
should be able to make 8 inch tall sections. The section coupling
is included. It is a finless design using a rotating launching tube to
cause inertial stability. Say, 5000 rpm target. It uses 1-1/4
standard pipe. schedule 40 or 80 can be used. The fit
dictates the fuselage thickness around the engine. I hope for a
three mile range controlled by payload mass. Say, a 45 degree
launch tube. I have a proper end mill to cut out a standard
1-1/4 pipe bore in a 4 inch diameter vee-belt pulley.

My question is where to test it out. Is there an approved
range that allows ballistic flight paths?

Or maybe I should be winging it and launching somewhere
in the middle of the Chesapeake Bay?

The second design is a 50 pound payload heavy lifter.
Think like the engine is a 1 foot diameter and 1 foot tall
cylinder with a safe fuel design.

You need to get in touch with a high power rocketry group. They usually
launch such things at meets where they get all the proper approvals
(e.g. FAA). If dim memory serves, I think Balls is the name of one of
the meets. Goggling...

Here we go:

Balls 29 Postponed due to COVID-19
http://www.tripoli.org/Balls29Postponed