Old February 12th 04, 01:41 PM
BenignVanilla

wrote in message
. com...
I have the Orion 8" Skyquest Dobsonian. I have a few issues with it:

1) When I find an object I like to look at (like when Mars was really

close
last year - remember that?) and I use the eyepiece that views wide (10

mm);
everything looks pretty far away.
2) When I use the higher power eyepiece (25mm) the objects move out of
view so darn quickly.

Does anyone here enjoy his/her Dobs? What kind of stuff do you look at
with it?

You are facing the age old dilema of should I go big, or should I go
Equatorial. An EQ mount will provide for tracking, either manually or via
motors, and will allow you to point and watch an object. Your DOB provides
you with the most light gathering for the buck, but skimps on the mount. I
share your frustration, as I too have an 8'' DOB. But point that baby at a
DSO, and you will be floored. IMHO, the bump-tracking required for a DOB is
OK when I compare it to my ability to see so much. Although, when I get the
cash, I can see myself mounting this thing on an EQ. LOL.

Go outside and point the scope at the Orion Neb...you'll fall in love with
that big ole DOB in a second.

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com