Old January 15th 18, 05:15 AM posted to sci.space.history
Stuf4

Default John Watts Young, 1930-2018

From Snidely:
Snidely is guilty of mn.684b7e21b1785a20.127094@snitoo as of
1/13/2018 1:15:23 AM
Just this Friday, Stuf4 puzzled about:

Sorry for the column width hassle. I could take care of that manually on
my end. I had been quite impressed with how GoogleGroups was working, say,
a decade ago. Very disappointing what it has become. Maybe someday I will
join in on the real newsreader thing. Thanks for the pointers.

Cross-posting in GG was removed (or at least made difficult) as a spam
control measure, AIUI. I use GG a lot when I'm not at the home computer, and
have since shortly after the Deja News purchase (and so for at least 2 "New
Style" rollouts). It works pretty well, except when somebody makes showing
the top-of-post the default instead of showing the unquoted parts as the
default. The "overview" option is very useful to me, although once you click
on an individual post you are no longer in overview. The efficacy of the
search tools sometimes varies, but if you can find the tick mark on the right
side of the "ordinary" search box, things improve.

Oh, and the native Google Groups I use don't have ads.

(technical forums)

Thanks for the info. There are effective ways of controlling spam other than
breaking very useful features. GG broke many of the things that made it
excellent. Like 'view as tree', exacting search, etc.

~ CT