Old April 3rd 13, 08:14 AM posted to sci.astro
Mike Dworetsky

Default Arrival point in Andromeda galaxy?

amhaus wrote:
Hi! I'm trying to calculate, if you departed the Milky Way from the
Perseus Arm (and had a ship that could actually make the journey in
something like 500 years instead of thousands), where you'd end up in
the Andromeda galaxy; what region, and if possible what known stars or
clusters you'd be near. I can't find charts online that give the kind
of detail I'm looking for so I can do the calculations. Is there
anyone who could give me some pointers--or even an answer?

Thanks!

If you had a ship like that, you could go anywhere in the Andromeda Galaxy
that you chose. As for charts, you might need to look at articles in
journals available on the ADS

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abstract_service.html

or atlases that might be listed on the CDS Simbad or Aladin web site:

http://cdsweb.u-strasbg.fr/

The latter often has images with overlays of identifiers.

The search might be improved if you use the name M31 rather than
"Andromeda".

Mostly, stars and clusters visible in Andromeda may have numbers but not
names.

--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove pants sp*mbl*ck to reply)