Old June 6th 12, 08:07 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Dr J R Stockton[_164_]

Default Transit of Venus--Trying to Get Ready

In sci.astro.amateur message
n.invalid, Tue, 5 Jun 2012 20:23:57, Dr J R Stockton reply1223@merlyn.
demon.co.uk.not.invalid posted:

In sci.astro.amateur message , Sun, 3
Jun 2012 20:22:50, Davoud posted:

Hello? Anyone outside the astronomy community heard of this event!? I
have not done a scientific survey but I have mentioned the ToV to more
than a dozen people in various venues, including employees at Parks &
Recreation Departments in three Mid-Atlantic states, and not one person
I talked to had heard of the event. And of those I told about it, not
one was interested.

That indicates the dismal state of your local/national newspapers, their
news collection, and their readership - and similarly for other media.

Conversely, the newspaper that I take published, last Friday, a picture
seven inches by seven, captioned "Sun Spot _Flying_visit_by_Venus_ |
Venus passes across the face of the sun early yesterday, an event not
witnessed since 1882. The phenomenon, which lasted for about six hours,
will next occur in 2117."

http://www.pressdisplay.com/pressdisplay/viewer.aspx has a copy.

at http://www.pressdisplay.com/pressdis...ssue=119020120
60100000000001001&page=18&article=dd0e13b2-54e9-4edd-b474-ddfead
d17e2b&key=8tS6vNPeB3l9fFHnS5XtaA%3D%3D&fe ed=rss

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Web http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.