Old January 27th 14, 03:04 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: SN2017J in M82

When the image is stretched to bring out the faint detail few levels are
left for the bright levels. This gives a false impression of the SN
brightness. I've attached a linear stretch of the luminance channel
such that the SN just reaches the maximum level allowed by JPG's 8 bit
format. This more correctly shows the relative brightness of the galaxy
and SN.

Rick

On 1/26/2014 4:21 PM, Stefan Lilge wrote:
Rick,

so you managed to get the SN. Somehow I expected it to be brighter.
And you got a very good image of M82 that way. Certainly the best image
of M82 with the SN I have seen so far.

Stefan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version