Old December 27th 12, 05:30 PM posted to alt.astronomy,sci.astro,sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics
Mahipal

Default Stellar "sea", and Planetary "land"

On Dec 24, 6:24*pm, "hanson" wrote:
"Don Humphries" wrote:

* "hanson" wrote: "Sam Wormley" wrote:

DonH wrote:
If this analogy with Biological Evolution has any validity, then -
* *How many Elements are entirely "marine"?
* *How many are only "terrestrial"?
* *And how many are "amphibious"?

In a very nice post "Sam Wormley" wrote:
* *Let us consider our solar system.
* * * Via spectroscopy, we find all the naturally occurring
* *elements through Uranium (perhaps not 43 Technetium,
* *as it is the atomic number element without any stable
* *isotopes). The H, He and Li mostly came from the first
* *three minutes of the big band and the rest from
* *exploding stars long before our solar system formed.

* *We estimate that our solar system is 4.56 billion years
* *old based on the oldest rocks--Carbonaceous chondrites.
* *So everything was here from the "start" of our solar system.

* *An important unanswered question: Did life find safe
* *harbor of one or more of the solar system bodies (Earth,
* *Mars, Titan, Europe, Enceladus, etc.)? Or does did life
* *get started dependent time/places in the solar system.

* *Life has evolved following Darwinian principles.
* * * If you want to talk about evolution of elements, the
* * mechanisms for the creation of heavy elements via
* * nuclear reactions is somewhat understood.

* *If you will remember, most H, He and Li were created
* *in the big band. Elements up through the iron group.
* *[ like Fe, Co or Ni at which level no more energy is
* *radiated ], are created via fusion processes [aka
* *nucleo sythesis ]in the cores of stars.
* *Heavier elements yet in supernovae.

hanson wrote:

Now Sam, to sustain life, also detail why every multicellular,
oxygen-consuming organism/lifeform *uses iron (Fe) in
its Blood, barring a few sea creatures that use Cobalt.

= Iron is an utterly fascinating element:

=1= Fe catches & releases the oxygen in the blood's Haemin.
=2= Iron, as a metal, is very durable und is used to house,
* * * * transport and defend ourselves.
=3= Iron is also an extremely volatile element when it combines
* * * * with carbon monoxide into Iron penta carbonyle (Fe(CO)5.
=4= Fe(CO)5 is formed in interstellar dust clouds where
* * * * it sythesizes with H, O, C & N, most of the needed
* * * * amino acids that are necessary for protein formation.
=5= Fe(CO)5 is produced in industrial quantites here
* * * * on earth and is a liquid that boils at 103�C, roughly
* * * * the same temp as is water.
=6= Fe(CO)5 is extremely toxic, while other Iron compounds
* * * * are essential for life to exist.
=7= Iron which was born in the final labors of a dying star
* * * * gave you the gift of life and it rules over your existence
* * * * with its... well... iron fist!

Don Humphries wrote:

# So, all the elements of the Periodic Table are present in our
Sun, even if in tiny quantities, or in similar fiery bodies in outer
space? *Proven, or assumed?

hanson wrote:

Sam, explained to you above which ones occur where.
This is proven. Study some spectroscopy. The conclusions
from it are the same whether light, flames or sparks come
from celestial sources or from the goods that are checked at
the receiving inspection in factories, who need to verify
whether they actually got what they have ordered.

Don Humphries wrote:

snip rhetorical questions from high school chemistry texts

Any dynamic universe must function according to some type of
laws/rules, to operate at all, but does this imply a Lawgiver?
Or does that only put the question one stage further back?
Same with Big Bang - what existed before? *Nothing?
*And if the universe had a Beginning, does it thus have an End?

hanson wrote:

ahahaha... "Lawgiver"... AHAHAHAHA... It being Xmas
the Great Creator has put his finger up your ass, didn't he.

Listen Don, ALL that cosmological stuff is CONJECTURE
and it is as old as is humankind. It is the greatest story ever
told about our yearning for the answer of the question:
------------ * "Where did *we come from?"..... ------------

This can only be answered by crossing into the realms of
philosophy, faiths, beliefs and fantasies.. from the down to
earth discipline of physics which is the science of
MEASURING things ....
(well, by comparing new stuff with known objects/events)

All our heroic attempts to explain it "scientifically"can be
reduced to the math/equation of the == "1-2-3-4 cosmic
envelope" == that links the pillars of ANY cosmology:

c = (G*M/R)^(1/2) = (G*M*H)^(1/3) = (G*M*b)^(1/4)

The descending 1,2,3,4 exponents bases show all the domain
max. limits that we can observe within the universe that we inhabit.

Now, YOU make up any story you wish from that. As long
as your tripe satisfies the measured/inferred quantities of the
above 4 factor sets, you will know exactly as much as did
Newton, Einstein or Hawkins, except that they had/have a
taller bully pulpit than you do, to sell their version of tripe.

Mind you though, my Aussie friend, there are certain things
that we humans will never be able to know simply because
of the way our brains are wired wired. *Or, try to improve on
4-5 billion years of trial and error... * *Good luck with that!

Take care, you guys, Merry Xmas & *laugh as long as you
still can.... ahahahaha... ahahahahanson

All the best to you to hanson. Everyone else too, of course.

Enjo(y)... Cheers!
--
Mahipal, pronounced "My Pal" or "Maple" leads to... Maple Loops.

http://mahipal7638.wordpress.com/meforce/