Old July 21st 19, 07:58 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Niklas Holsti

Default SpaceX Capsule Explosion

On 19-07-21 16:57 , Jeff Findley wrote:
In article ,
lid says...

On 19-07-20 15:40 , Jeff Findley wrote:
In article ,
lid says...

On 19-07-19 14:06 , Jeff Findley wrote:
In article , says...

I couldn't find a definitive reference. But the abort system is simply
not needed for a cargo flight. It could be that the parts will still be
on the Dragon 2, but the abort system's propellant tanks and high
pressure helium tanks simply won't be filled. That would also save a
lot of mass while minimizing the modifications needed to turn a crew
Dragon 2 into a cargo Dragon 2.

They might even use propulsive landing for cargo flights.

No, they won't. NASA has definitively nixed that idea. NASA does not
want irreplaceable returning cargo (e.g. EMU suits) splattered all over
a concrete landing pad when the inevitable "oopsie" happens.

... NASA told SpaceX that they would not allow propulsive landing
tests using returning Dragon 2 cargo vessels. It would have been
prohibitively expensive for SpaceX to fully test propulsive landings "on
their own dime".

You see, SpaceX wanted to test propulsive Dragon 2 landings on
operational cargo missions just like they tested Falcon 9 first stage
landings on operational missions.

Ah, I didn't know that. Yes, I can understand why NASA did not agree to
such "operational tests".

--
Niklas Holsti
Tidorum Ltd