Old June 29th 04, 01:18 AM
Martin Frey

I.J Jordan wrote:

But on a serious note is anyone else using their system,and be willing to
comment on it as regards any problems (if any),and its guiding accuracy.In
other words any comments or experiences.

I find the AWR drives my EQ6 very well.

I got it mostly for the ability to slew. With a 125/1000mm refractor
or a 250 f4.8 newt, I can't reach the clutches on my EQ6 and look
throught the eyepiece, making alignment a real pain with the original
16x sidereal max rate on the EQ6.

It does scream a bit slewing and I wish it didn't. Seems to have
nothing to do with the load - it screams just as much under no load as
it does under a severely unbalanced heavy load.

I wish it didn't use so much power. A 10ah battery doesn't last very
long and the black box gets seriously hot. Her indoors got very cross
when I killed a third patch of grass with the black box on the ground
so I had to make a shelf for it to sit on. I wish I could make a robot
to carry my 55ah battery.

The intelligent handset is a handful - it takes a long time to get
used to pressing a different button to enter each of degrees, minutes
and seconds and in the cold and the dark an undo or cancel entry
button would be handier than having to start all over again. Having
borrowed a Meade, the handset was a pleasure to hold and the data
entry much more user friendly - with an undo for every stage.

I haven't quite forgiven it for giving me a heart attack when it
stubbornly refuse to work at all one day - turned out the cable
connecting the black box to the handset, with identical plugs on each
end only works one way. Quick on with the black tape to identify the
black box end - end of problem - but I don't call that in any way user
friendly.

And it is a hell of a lot of money. I'm glad I bought it - but I
wouldn't buy another one. Then, please god, I should never have to.

--
Martin Frey
http://www.hadastro.org.uk