Old July 22nd 11, 12:41 AM posted to sci.space.history
Stuf4

Default Shuttle Press Release Drinking Game.

From Rick Jones :
Fevric J. Glandules wrote:

And if the USA *is* slightly introspective - here's a question.
(Which I CBA to google the answer for). *From the borders of the
continental US, how far is it to the next-but-one neighbouring
*major* country?

That depends on one's definition of major doesn't it? For example,
going South past Mexico, would you consider Columbia or Venezuela
major, or would that have to be Brasil? *Right there I've already
assumed you would not consider anything from Panama on North to Mexico
to be "major" though at times Panama or Nicaragua have had a "major"
mind share.

Lessee... Alaska, last I checked, was still part of the North
American continent, and part of the US. Russia counts as major. The
Bering Strait is 50 something miles wide. And there are those islands
in the middle, the Diomedes. Therefore...

2.4 miles apart. Final answer.

Heh. And I've got Sarah to back me up on this. She can see those
islands from Wasilla!

~ CT