Old August 3rd 05, 01:15 AM
William Foley

Generally, Newtonians have a rather narrow FOV for use as a terrestrial
telescope. You CAN probably see an upright image if you move around the
scope until the image looks correct. To get any decent FOV you would need a
fairly low power EP, but since you would not be viewing at infinity, you
probably could not get such an EP far enough out on the focuser to focus on
a terrestrial object. Orion does have some pretty nice spotting scopes, I
think that one of those would work much better and hurt your neck much less.

Bill

"Ducky" wrote in message
Hi

I will be getting my first telescope soon. It will be an Orion SkyQuest
XT8 Dobsonian. I have ordered a shorty+ barlow in addition to the included
eyepieces. I’m thinking this telescope might also be useful for casual
terrestrial observations as I have a very nice view from my terrace. A
refractor is probably the best solution for this, but I am not planning to
get one anytime soon. So, I was wondering, is there any usable solution to
get an upright image in this telescope?

Regards

Athle