Old October 31st 08, 12:30 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Jeff Findley

Default HST repair delayed; Ares 1-X launch slips

"Ian Parker" wrote in message
I have just read an article in the Times which says that Apollo/saturn
veterans are being drafted in to sort out the Ares problems. I did say
some time back that Sauturn worked and one could do a lot worse than
dig out the S5 designs.

Saturn V did have its teething problems. In particular, the POGO problem
was rather severe.

However, I always like to note that POGO problems in a liquid fueled engine
stage can be solved, and were solved on Saturn V. But the vibration problem
with solid rocket motors can't really be eliminated. The best you can do
with large solids is to mitigate the problem.

Jeff
--
A clever person solves a problem.
A wise person avoids it. -- Einstein