Old March 9th 05, 02:41 AM
Rusty

Here is some additional information from Yahoo Space-modelers_eva:

From: "Bruce P." spacecraftengr@y...
Date: Sat Mar 5, 2005 11:10 pm
Subject: Andre Norton

A posting on the Space Modelers group regarding Andre Norton's
condition following a stroke would seem to be a bit more dreadful than
what a friend, a long time genre author herself, has reported to me
after being in contact with those immediates tending to AN-

"... have been in touch with her......currently she is at home, able
to sit up in her wheelchair and is eating. Her situation is delicate,
but there is some hope of recovery...."

BP

From: "Bruce P." spacecraftengr@y...
Date: Sun Mar 6, 2005 10:30 am

BTW-

Her stroke was in early February and she spent a couple of weeks in
ICU with pneumonia then went home to be among familiar surroundings;
expecting her not to recover fully. It wasn't anticipated that she
would rally to the extent that she has... but we'll take it. She had
returned home under hospice care to spend her potentially final days
with her books and her cats.

And a friend sent this anecdote-

"My favorite memory of her was when we visited Worldcon in 1992; she
attended several of the functions and even signed autographs. I was
walking from the hotel to the convention center one day and heard a
whirring noise; looking up, I managed to get to one side of the walk
in time to avoid being bowled over by an electric cart. At the
controls was a wide-eyed, happy Andre Norton, pursued on foot by her
erstwhile escorts. I think she enjoyed the sensation of outrunning
her younger, healthier "protectors"; it doubtless tickled her sense of
humor."

BP

Rusty