Old October 27th 05, 05:34 PM
Herb Schaltegger

Default No straight answers from NASA on depressurization event on Soyuz descent

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:38:27 -0500, Jim Oberg wrote
(in article ):

"John Doe" wrote in message ...
dmitrik wrote:
repress bottle and suit air. They did repress the cabin with O2 but I
don't know whether they had to switch completely to suit air.

Does anyone know what pressure the cabin went down to before they
released some O2 ?

I assume it starts off at 14.7 when they leave the station, right ?

Also, between the time they undock from orbital module and the time the
hatch is opened on the ground, wouldn't O2 have to be released from time
to time even in normal circumstances to keep the 3 occupants awake in
this tight space ?

If the cabin is at 14.7 and the occupants close the visor of the sokhol
suits, would they then be getting 100% O2 at 14.7 ? or just mixture of
N2 and O2 ? If cabin were truly leaking, I take it that the suits would
drop down to about 5psi, at which point it would be pure O2 into the
suits ?

have they released any information on whether the leak was audible or
not ? If it was not audible, could it have been a faulty valve instead
of actual hatch leaks ?

Is it possible that this event was so trivial that the cosmonauts didn't
bother doing anything out of the ordinary and thus this would explain
why there is so little information about it ?

I have the precise psi values but did not
use them because the number was on a very
tightly-guarded memo and would point to
a very small group of suspects. So I converted
to percentages, retaining accuracy while
protecting source.

Um . . . by saying that just now, didn't you just essentially point out
your source if anyone happens to read s.s.h or s.s.s ?

--
"Fame may be fleeting but obscurity is forever." ~Anonymous
"I believe as little as possible and know as much as I can."