Old August 2nd 05, 12:53 AM
Chris L Peterson

On 31 Jul 2005 18:33:59 -0700, "canopus56" wrote:

The analogous merit badge at the girl scouts is for a different age
group - the Junior Girl Scouts ages 8-11 and is titled "Sky Search".

Yes, the requirements I gave are for the Junior Girl Scouts Sky Search
Badge, from the current printing of the Junior Girl Scout Badge Book.

From one outstanding web based program at the Alder Planetarium of

Chicago, Ill., one can infer that the requirements are similar -
http://hou.lbl.gov/~vhoette/GirlScouts/actaquay.html
http://hou.lbl.gov/~vhoette/GirlScouts/

Thanks. They will be doing an overnight at my observatory next week. We
will deal with the basic requirements, but will go considerably beyond
them.

At the bottom of this page of requirements are three images- one of
which is horribly wrong: http://www.cloudbait.com/misc/gscoutastro.jpg

You mean the terminator rising south to north instead of east to west?
LOL!

No, I mean that the image doesn't show moon phases at all, but a lunar
eclipse. I call that a glaring mistake- you can't possibly get phases
that look like what the picture shows.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com