Old March 17th 15, 02:30 AM posted to sci.space.policy
William Mook[_2_]

Default RC Rocketry - Ready to Fly to Orbit

The energy content I calculated was adjusted for varying concentration. You missed that point. That's not an issue here.

The safety figures for petrol vs. hydrogen peroxide are based on the number of deaths per MJ of the material shipped. This is the figure of merit used by insurance companies in determining rates for shippers. By this measure hydrogen peroxide is vastly safer than fossil fuels.

As for non-meritorious claims of safety, which you suggest, why don't you drink 50 ml of a 30% solution of leaded petrol and I'll drink 50 ml of 30% solution of hydrogen peroxide and we'll see who comes out of that standing.

On Monday, March 16, 2015 at 10:02:17 AM UTC-4, Fred J. McCall wrote:
William Mook wrote:

On Monday, March 16, 2015 at 7:13:59 AM UTC-4, Fred J. McCall wrote:
Pure hydrogen peroxide is hideously dangerous and probably one of the
last things you want around in a car crash...

William Mook wrote:

Hydrogen peroxide is produced by electrolytic action

http://link.springer.com/article/10....8221369#page-1

When combined with a high intensity photocell - operating in a water/oxygen solution produces hydrogen peroxide.

It is therefore feasible to consider a rechargeable flow battery consisting of hydrogen peroxide and water.

A 2 litre bottle of hydrogen peroxide contains 2.9 kg of the material..

Discharging a flow battery using this material reduces it to 1.366 litres and 1.366 kg of pure water with 1.534 grams of oxygen with the release of 1.2 kWh of electrical energy.

A 2.88 square meter (1.2 m x 2.4 m) solar panel that is 55% efficient produces 1,584 watts of electrical power and when exposed to 3.6 hours per day generate 5.7 kWh/day. This charges 9.5 litres of hydrogen peroxide every 24 hours. Using 50% hydrogen peroxide to maintain stability, requires 19 litres every 24 hours. This is a layer of hydrogen peroxide 66 mm thick across a 1.2 m x 2.4 m area.

Six panels, forming an area 4.8 m x 3.6 m may discharged continuously at 1.4 kW

24 litres - containing 69.6 kg of hydrogen peroxide can maintain a 1.2 kW power level for 24 hours. This is sufficient to supply a home.

A Tesla S uses 85 kWh to recharge. 283.3 litres at 50% concentration stores this much e...

Hydrogen peroxide is widely used throughout the world and is a common industrial product. The stability and safety of 70% hydrogen peroxide shipments are well established and is demonstrably no more dangerous than petrol, diesel fuel, av gas or jet fuel.

http://www.car-accidents.com/2008-co...-uae-fog-1.jpg

You need to adjust all your reaction rates for using dilute H2O2. And
no, it's not as safe as petrofuels. Concentrations above 68% are
prone to spontaneous explosive decomposition if they get too warm.

I'll tell you what. I'll put my hand in a pail of gasoline and you
put your hand in the 'equally safe' pail of 70% hydrogen peroxide. Or
perhaps you'd like to drop a cup of grease into your pail and I'll
drop a cup of grease into mine.

After all, they're 'equally safe', right?

--
"Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the balls to
live in the real world."