Old July 11th 03, 02:41 PM
Craig MacDougal

Default My Floaters Are Gone. Long Live My Floaters?

"Chris L Peterson" wrote in message

That isn't my own experience. I've had a few irritating floaters for many

years,
and I've never gotten used to them. The low-level cortical response to

movement
is very strong- I don't see how you can get used to something that

produces the
appearance of movement, especially across the fovea.

Since I mostly do planet observing at 1mm exit pupil, I have been quite
aware of my floaters for years. In my observing eye (left) one round floater
has become either more compact or closer to the retina. It used to appear
like a single celled organism in a microscope, now it is JUST the right size
and darkness to look like a dark spot on Jupiter about the size of a Jovian
moon shadow.

It also is quite noticeable in the daytime because of (as you noted) the
motion. I have been known to swat at "invisible" insects flying near my
head. :-)

I have (mostly) trained myself to wait for the SOUND of a flying insect
before I start flailing.

Clear Skies,
Craig in Tampa