Old October 14th 06, 11:27 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Alan Anderson

Default Scientists teleport two different objects

Joe Strout wrote:

No, what's happened is that one particle has *lost* its property (or has
had it randomized), and another particle has been assigned the property
that the first particle *used* to have.

Right. Much like when I connect two monitors to one computer with a KVM
switch -- when I flip it, the picture disappears from one screen and
appears on the other. I have therefore (to use the conventions of the
press on this topic) teleported the monitor from one place to another.

Leaving aside the issue that a KVM switch does exactly the opposite of
what you're talking about, the distinction is twofold. First, the
picture on a computer monitor can be described perfectly by the numbers
producing it, with no uncertainty principle keeping you from knowing as
much about it as you wish. Second, you *can* display the same picture
on multiple monitors at the same time; you do not *have* to remove it
from one in order to place it on the other. Quantum teleportation
requires that the source object's state be destroyed before the target
object can receive it. I believe teleportation is an appropriate word
for such a "destructive perfect copy at a distance" process.