Old May 8th 04, 08:03 PM
Henry Spencer

Default reflecting sunlight onto the Moon?

In article ,
Hop David wrote:
So finding a spot that's perpetually in sunlight isn't such a bad
idea, be it a mountain on the south pole or L1...

Is there such a mountain?

Nobody is certain, actually. We do not have good topographic maps of the
lunar polar regions. (Clementine's elliptical orbit never passed low
enough over the poles to get laser-altimeter data there.) Nor do we have
good overhead photography over the full range of lunar seasons -- the Moon
*does* have a little bit of axial tilt, so a mountain that's in continuous
sunlight in polar summer might get some darkness in polar winter.

Even if you can't get continuous light on the surface, you can probably
come close enough that a modest tower would put a solar array up in
continuous light.
--
MOST launched 30 June; science observations running | Henry Spencer
since Oct; first surprises seen; papers pending. |