Old May 12th 06, 12:13 PM posted to sci.space.moderated

Default Mars and Africa

Rand Simberg wrote:

I would love to see Dubya try to pronounce "quotient".

Again, you stupidly confuse articulation with intelligence. Why do
you do that?

Oh, it's more than just articulation; he says things that make no sense
whatsoever, are spoken using a tortuous phraseology, and sometimes come
out meaning exactly the reverse of what he was trying to say:
http://www.slate.com/id/76886/
Then he gives his patented little dismissive chuckle, and moves on to
the next speech.
He also lies on a very regular basis.
Remember how the phone calls the NSA was monitoring were those that came
from outside the U.S. to people inside the U.S. who may have had
Al-Queda ties, or were from people inside the U.S. who were trying to
contact people outside the U.S. who may have had Al-Queda ties?
We now know that the NSA was attempting to monitor the origin and
destination of all domestic phone communications.
In short Rand, anytime you made a call to someone in the past few years,
there's a record that it was from your number, the number it went to,
the time you called, and the duration of the call.
Same for me.
The number of calls so monitored is supposed to be around 300 million,
and the number of individuals involved to be over 30 million.
Now, we may have Al-Queda sleeper cells in the U.S., but I don't think
that they have successfully infiltrated tens of millions of terrorists
into the U.S., which leaves one wondering what exactly the point of all
this was.
What for the life of me I can't understand is that you, who I disagree
with politically, philosophically, and economically, still support him.
You obviously have more brains in your little finger than Dubya does in
his entire cranium despite our disagreements, but you want to stand up
for someone who is obviously your intellectual inferior, crooked, a
liar, a incompetent, and to put it into two words... a born loser.
He's sure not supporting your political or ideological agenda, why the
hell are you buying into his?

Anyway, to get off this subject, and back onto terraforming the Sahara,
what exactly is the method proposed for getting the desalinated water
into the desert? Do we lay perforated pipes and watch them get buried
under the sand dunes, or dig irrigation canals and watch them get filled
in during the first sandstorm?
Also, since the sand is probably tens of feet deep over most of the
Sahara, what's going to stop the water from just sinking right through
it and not being of any use in supplying the water needs of the plants
that are supposed to reclaim the desert?

Pat