Old July 19th 18, 08:44 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jean-marc Lienher

Default Geosynchronous satellite aligned with moon picture

Hi,

I'm not familiar with astronomy, but I think I must learn more about the
Disney-Von Braun[1] fairy-tale...

I would like to know if somebody has a link to a good picture of a
geosynchronous satellite aligned with the moon ?

All that I can find are pictures of a simple flash of light[2].

I think that it should exist. The resolution of the picture of the
Apollo 11 landing site[3] on google should allow us to clearly see a 1m
x 1m object (does this picture been taken from ground ?).

Geosynchronous satellites are 10 times nearer to the earth than the
moon, and their visible face[4] should be a bit bigger than 1m x 1m.

Nasa can track 0.1m x 0.1m orbital debris[5] from ground, what is the
minimal size of a geosynchronous object that we can see from earth with
a telescope ?

.... while writing I've done a search, I found that a 1200mm telescope[6]
can on only view geosynchronous objects bigger than around 15m[7], and a
cheap 200mm around 100m objects. The biggest 10000mm telescope[8] can
only view 2m objects...

Does anybody with access to the biggest optical telescope of the world
took a picture of a radio-communication satellite ?

Thank you in advance for any information.

Regards,
Jean-Marc L.

[1]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMINSD7MmT4
[2]: