Old January 18th 18, 06:36 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

Default Want to know the REAL future of climate? Ask an astronomer

On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 07:56:11 -0700, Chris L Peterson
wrote:
On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 07:40:30 +0100, Paul Schlyter
wrote:

On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 21:19:16 -0700, Chris L Peterson
wrote:
I agree, I see lots of global warming books with "terror

titles."
After all, global warming is denial of real science.

Global warming is real, and is very scary.

Not too scary to serve as inspiration for movies about imaginary
catastrophes, such as "The day after tomorrow".

One of the most dangerous
things the human race has ever faced, and one which has the

potential
to destroy our current civilization.

However, that wouldn't be the first time a human civilization has
been destroyed. It has happened several times before, and mankind
survived that. This time we're too many, we consume too much
resources, and we're too focused on eternal growth, which of

course
is impossible within a finite world. That's the lesson we must

learn
this time. If we don't learn it voluntarily, the Earth will teach

us,
in a quite harsh way.

I don't anticipate global warming has the potential to eliminate
humans, or even close to it. But civilization is fragile. It

wouldn't
take much to take down our current cultures and replace them with
something more typical- despotic theocracy, for instance.

Not something I want to see.

In a way we already live in such a society. Our current
"religion" is our belief in eternal growth, and those who
question that belief are considered to be backwards
a little mad, or even dangerous to society. As
expressed in their living style, people prefer global
warming over having to change their living style.