Old June 10th 11, 07:02 AM posted to sci.space.station
Alan Erskine[_3_]

Default Inflatable habitats.

On 10/06/2011 3:01 PM, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well, one assumes that the rigidity of the structure depends on it being
inflated, or at least the supports being rigid due to them being inflated.
Also, I think its so counter intuitive as to be a hard task to persuade
people its actually safe!

In solid modules, one can build micro meteorite protection on the outside,
and I've yet to see a convincing design. OK see is the wrong word, but you
know what I mean.

Brian

It's inflated with foam, not just with air/gas. Look at Bigelow's ideas
and the TransHab idea it's based on. Quite rigid and by all accounts,
actually safer than a metal structure due to the thicker walls.

Radiation protection is apparently also better with a TransHab-style module.