Old December 11th 03, 04:02 AM
Scott Hedrick

Default Did you know you can buy land on the moon?

"Herb Schaltegger" lid
wrote in message ...
Scott Hedrick wrote:

"Herb Schaltegger"

lid
wrote in message ...

recognize
that CHOICE plays very little part in what kind of people (especially
gender) that one finds attractive.

I don't dispute that at all. What I *said* was, if the mission was to

get
married, then choosing a partner whom one isn't permitted to marry was a
bad choice. I didn't say anything at all about attraction, since being
attracted to a partner isn't a requirement for marriage.

PLEASE don't get all "Stuffie" here, okay?

I'm not getting even close. That's all I meant when I made a reference to
"poor choices". I know a few gay couples as well, and with one exception,
they are very well suited. All of them, however, are poor choices if they
wish to get married, since none of them are allowed to do so. I doubt their
mission was merely to get married, so this criteria isn't relevant.

On the other hand, while you may not be able to control whom you are
attracted to, you *can* control what you do. Homosexuality, as with
heterosexuality, is invisible until a person chooses to do something.
Sexuality is an active choice. A person *chooses* to get involved with
another person. A person *chooses* go to to locations where other
homosexuals or heterosexuals congregate. A person *chooses* to express their
sexuality. Your thoughts and feelings may not be a matter of choice, but the
*expression* of them is. I'm not saying this as a matter of fault, I'm just
getting tired of the horse**** about "I was made that way". Biology
encourages a *tendency towards* a certain persuasion, it does not *require*
someone behave in a certain manner- unless you believe we are mere animals,
unable to control our biological impulses.

If gays are allowed to marry, then people will want to marry their pets, and
the next thing you know Roseanne will get married again.

One of the fundamental flaws in our society is the extremely limited
definition of "family". While I may not favor gay marriage, I have a
problem with legally-defined family members who intentionally ostracise a
relative having greater say over, say, health-care decisions than a
long-term partner. I have a problem with my cat not being considered a
family member. I have friends who are closer to me than my brother, but they
could be legally excluded if my legal family didn't like them. I don't have
an answer to this. I do know it doesn't have anything to do with the subject
line.
--
If you have had problems with Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC),
please contact shredder at bellsouth dot net. There may be a class-action