Old September 17th 18, 08:10 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Default Solar observatory closed for some kind of "security issue"

Chris L Peterson:
Might be related to some cyber security issue. A lot of observatories
like this are on a dedicated, very high speed subnet of the broader
Internet. Maybe somebody used it inappropriately.

matthewjoly:
Would seem to be the most likely reason. I've read there are a number of
sensitive military installations nearby.

What does that mean? Do you understand that the nature of computer
networking makes proximity irrelevant?

"AURA has been cooperating with an on-going law enforcement
investigation of criminal activity that occurred at Sacramento Peak.
During this time, we became concerned that a suspect in the
investigation potentially posed a threat to the safety of local staff
and residents. For this reason, AURA temporarily vacated the facility
and ceased science activities at this location." --Gizmodo

AURA says that the facility reopened today, September 17.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm