Old December 26th 09, 04:31 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Dan Birchall[_3_]

Default ? Is the earth warming ? is it serious ?

lid ) wrote:
Why would you ( Dan ) read Alt.Astronomy?

I often wonder about that myself. The signal-to-noise ratio sucks
in here - but there's more signal (and more noise) than on the Sci.*
side (which I also read). Why I _post_ in here is an even more
vexing question, since it might cause some to question my judgement.

What can you tell us about the "Tholen·Bot?"

He knows a lot, isn't difficult to work with, and is a good guy to ask
about small solar-system bodies. Like me, he may lack good judgement,
as evidenced by posting in here.

Why Australia?

My schedule (6 nights at a time above 2,800 meters) necessitates online
classes, and Australian state universities got the jump on US ones when
it comes to online grad classes in astronomy.

Are you getting a doctorate ?

No; I don't want to be an astronomer. I like my job's mix of science
and technology, would gladly operate Subaru and its instrument suite
for the next 23 years or more if I can. Education just helps me do a
better job. I've finished a graduate certificate, and plan to keep
taking classes until I earn a MSc, probably around 2014.

If at some point in the distant future I end up working in outreach or
education, I might consider a doctorate in education. But that's just
an idea in the back of my head for now, not anything I would expect to
actually worry about in the next 15-20 years.

Is the earth warming?

I'm not a climate scientist, but there are patches of snow by the
parking lot here in Hawaii. Draw what irrational conclusion you will.

is it serious?

Not at all. The Earth, like the rest of the universe, is hilarious.

-Dan

--
djb@ | Dan Birchall, Night Operation Assistant, Subaru Telescope/NAOJ.
naoj | Views I express are my own, certainly not those of my employer.