Old July 14th 18, 06:28 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

Default Professor from second-rate university thinks he's going to time travel

Time is the most precious experience we have, in inspirational terms the Eternal encompasses temporal existence and we pick up the Eternal and Infinite in creation as we pass through life on this planet. The spirit in us fills all creation, was there before we showed up on this planet and will be there when our physical existence returns back to the planet as individual elements.

All the issues of timekeeping, the motions of the Earth and external references used can be sorted out with familiarity however it will be done with people who exercise humility before time rather than mock it with an absurd distortion of our normal travelling through time/life.

I am a Christian where the connection between the Eternal and temporal means everything as awe so with this confidence I can even present non Christian ideas of the same thing -

" The Celestial Circuit may, no doubt, be thought of in terms of
quantity. It answers to measure- in two ways. First there is space;
the movement is commensurate with the area it passes through, and this
area is its extent. But this gives us, still, space only, not Time.
Secondly, the circuit, considered apart from distance traversed, has
the extent of its continuity, of its tendency not to stop but to
proceed indefinitely: but this is merely amplitude of Movement; search
it, tell its vastness, and, still, Time has no more appeared, no more
enters into the matter, than when one certifies a high pitch of heat;
all we have discovered is Motion in ceaseless succession, like water
flowing ceaselessly, motion and extent of motion.

Succession or repetition gives us Number- dyad, triad, etc.- and the
extent traversed is a matter of Magnitude; thus we have Quantity of
Movement- in the form of number, dyad, triad, decade, or in the form
of extent apprehended in what we may call the amount of the Movement:
but, the idea of Time we have not. That definite Quantity is merely
something occurring within Time, for, otherwise Time is not everywhere
but is something belonging to Movement which thus would be its
substratum or basic-stuff: once more, then, we would be making Time
identical with Movement; for the extent of Movement is not something
outside it but is simply its continuousness, and we need not halt upon
the difference between the momentary and the continuous, which is
simply one of manner and degree. The extended movement and its extent
are not Time; they are in Time. Those that explain Time as extent of
Movement must mean not the extent of the movement itself but something
which determines its extension, something with which the movement
keeps pace in its course. But what this something is, we are not told;
yet it is, clearly, Time, that in which all Movement proceeds. This is
what our discussion has aimed at from the first: "What, essentially,
is Time?" It comes to this: we ask "What is Time?" and we are
answered, "Time is the extension of Movement in Time!" Plotinus